Where I've Been Map

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Don´t cry for me Argentina!

(Note: being able to stop at random wineries composed of a small shack and courtyard = the reason we decided to do this trip by car! )


We combined celebrating our last few days in Argentina and the beginning of our training for the Inca Trail by ditching our comfy 4Runner and getting our butts on bikes. Granted, the real intention for the bikes was to ride to 7 wineries scattered at the foot of the Andes outside a beautiful little town called Cafayate. We sampled a FEW wines and bought a FEW bottles ;) Our favorite was the organic wine…though I will admit it was the last bodega we entered, so there is no guarantee my taste-buds were sober. I’ll let your imaginations give you the giggles with images of me tipsy on a bike.

Alas, the next day we traded in our bikes again for the comfort of our beautiful Hueona (now heavy with wine bottles) and headed along a beautiful dirt road with varying landscapes. Although I hate to equate the unique beauty of a landscape to any other in the world, this small corner of Northern Argentina really made me reminisce about our Eid vacation 4-wheeling in the desert in Egypt (here’s another shout-out to my anti-struggle partners in crime). Though, it was a bit windier.



We had to make a pit stop in the city of Salta to patch our first flat, rotate our tires (10,000 mile marker, baby, yeah!), and refresh our spirits with much-needed Chinese food. Then it was off to spend our last night in Argentina at the base of the Cerro de Siete Colores. We think whoever named it was as bad at counting as Matt (hint to this inside joke: refer to my Antarctica blog).
But don’t cry for me Argentina…my brother fell in love with your Buenos Aires. I’m sure I’ll use him as an excuse to return sometime very soon!








No comments: